With COVID-19 and social distancing practices everyone is finding online opportunities to begin chess clubs. If you are ready to begin an online chess club here are some tips to help you out.
Chess Made Fun recommends creating a website to update your members on group play, and add content to attract new to beginning players. You may connect your website to your online community whether it is Facebook, Instagram, lichess.org, chess.com or your own online classroom.
Below are the top items needed to begin an online chess club:
- Website – Chess Made Fun recommends building your website with WordPress.com. You may set up a basic website for free. A website can help organize club information, provide a site to update your players on events, and create a database of email addresses so you may email club members of upcoming events and news.
- Online Playing Platform – Determine what website you want to play chess on as a group. Recommended sites are chess.com or lichess.org. There are other sites that integrate with your website for online tournaments or group play. If you are interested in learning more send us a message.
- Calendar – It is important to have a Calendar for your events. In today’s world it is easy to forget when your chess club’s next event is scheduled. We recommend creating a Facebook group for your members. You may set events that will send a reminder to your players. You may also add a public calendar to your WordPress website.
- Computer – We recommend playing online chess as a group on a computer. You may play from the web browser on your phone, or tablet, but it’s kind of clunky.
- Coaches – To help grow your club, find and recruit chess coaches in your area to join the club. They may offer a good game of chess for your top players, or might be willing to teach an online chess lesson for your new players.
Don’t get discouraged if there is a low turnout at first, and remember to be consistent to show up to play!
What has helped your online chess club grow in your area?