The 15 inch board with walnut and maple color squares is intentionally distressed to match the antique-styled brown and ivory color chessmen. The chess pieces boast intricate detail and invoke celtic and 14th century aesthetics in their design. Modern chess was invented in Europe, based on an Arabic game (Shatranj) that was based on an Indian game (Chaturanga). During the Middle Ages it spread across Europe and evolved into the game we know and love today. Chess is a game of infinite variations and possibly the most challenging strategy game ever created. It has lasted through the centuries and is played in every corner of the world.
- Medieval theme chess pieces – brown and ivory color polystone
- King measures 2.185 in. with 1.06 in. diameter base – pieces collectively weigh 2.4 lbs.
- Walnut & maple veneer board
- Board measures 15 x 15 x 0.41 in. with 1.63 in. squares
- Includes 32 chessmen with felt bottoms