The Staunton design has become the standard for tournament play. The pieces are easily distinguishable making for easier game play. Knights are made to resemble the head and neck of a horse. Kings are the tallest pieces featuring a cross atop a closed crown. Queens are slightly smaller than the kings, and feature a coronet topped with a small ball. Rooks feature castle battlements, and bishops resemble a liturgical headdress of a western church. Pawns are the smallest and are topped by a plain ball. The pieces which represent humans (the king, queen, bishop, and pawn) feature a collar which separates the body from the head design. These will be enjoyed for years to come.
- Staunton style chess pieces
- Pieces are crafted from wood – Sheesham and Boxwood
- Pieces are handpolished & weighted for better stability during play
- King measures 2.5 in. tall
- Includes 32 chessmen with felt bottoms